Geneva’s horological know-how has spread around the world over several centuries. The Poinçon de Genève is a guarantee of authenticity, of a product made by the finest craftsmen in the Republic and Canton of Geneva, whose success is renowned worldwide. Only a few select watchmakers and “manufactures” based in Geneva have been awarded this certification.
The Poinçon de Genève, the certification label for fine watchmaking, is only of value if it is applied with rigorous control. A number of organisations are charged with overseeing its implementation: an independently operated legislative body, executive body and judiciary body.
Introduced on 6th November 1886 by the Council of State, the law on the optional control of watch manufacturing in the Canton of Geneva led firstly to the setting up of the Geneva Office of Watch Control. This is responsible for stamping watches submitted by Geneva-based manufacturers with the official State “mark” following a rigorous process of quality control. The Office also regularly inspects production in the “manufactures”.
Geneva is the name of both the Canton and its administrative centre. It is Switzerland’s second biggest city in terms of population. Geneva is well known for its famous water fountain, its shopping streets lined with luxury boutiques, and the exceptional know-how of its watchmakers, being the headquarters for such esteemed "manufactures" as Vacheron Constantin, Chopard, Roger Dubuis, Cartier, Rolex and Patek Philippe, among others.